It was the first day of third grade, and the new girl in the front of the class was tugging incessantly on her blonde ponytail. No doubt trying to impress a curious group of seven and eight year-olds with her perfect pony. Who knew the towhead would make such a lasting impression?

Meet Brittany.

We attended the same elementary, middle, and high schools and were attached at the hip. Here we are, almost twenty years later, still friends. A year after high school, Brittany moved to Cambridge, Ontario (about an hour from Toronto, Canada), and last weekend, I paid her a long-overdue visit.



I've always secretly questioned why Brittany loved Cambridge--loved it enough to become a Canadian citizen. But now that I've seen it for myself, I completely understand. I don't have a single bad thing to say about the place...except that it's too far away.


Our reunion was nothing short of amazing. We spent nights on her back porch reminiscing, sharing the intricacies of our current lives, and sipping homemade cocktails. I was also fortunate enough to meet her neighbor's three-legged cat, Dexter--a cruel name for an animal lacking dexterity, but Dexie was supposedly named before the accident that robbed him of his arm.


We spent a lot of time with Brittany's son, Blake. AKA: Punko. Hanging out with Punko was pure entertainment in and of itself. I don't find myself in the company of six-year-olds very often, but I can tell you he is super smart and very talented. Blake speaks a good deal of French, as I found out when he narrated a school play. He is also an athlete, thrilled to be playing soccer the "teal" team this year.




Brittany, Punko, and I took a trip to the Toronto Zoo. If you didn't know already, I love, love, love animals. If you are one of my friends, there's a decent chance I've given you an animal nickname. So it goes without saying, that I was probably more excited about our day at the zoo than Punko was. Eyelash vipers, blue gooey frogs, freckley giraffes, orangutans, shnoozing tigers, and red pandas were among the highlights.


Toronto Zoo Ontario Canada

orangutan Toronto Zoo Ontario Canada


Our perfect day at the zoo was followed by another fabulous day at Webster's Falls. The three of us trekked beneath the falls, hiked along the streambed, savored a delicious picnic lunch atop a giant rock, and enjoyed a refreshing dip in a swimming hole beneath another set of waterfalls.


Webster Falls Victoria Day


Webster Falls Canada


Webster Falls Canada


And speaking of waterfalls, on my way back to the Buffalo Airport, Brittany and I stopped to marvel at Niagara Falls. For a girl who is obsessed with waterfalls, this is the place to be. If I didn't have a plane to catch (or bills to pay), I'd still be there. Niagara is astounding. Words are not enough.

Niagara Falls Canadian side


Niagara Falls Canadian side


Niagara Falls Canada


It was hard to leave, but I can promise it won't be six years until I see my Britto again.

Niagara Falls Canada

3 Responses so far.

  1. John says:

    Looks like a great time was had by all. And, once again, great pics Nicole!

  2. Great pics, Nic! I'm glad you're not still at Niagara Falls though... I was going through Nicole withdrawals!! :)

  3. McMurrays says:

    long friendships are the best! so fun! i think the mcmurrays need to go there what a fun vacation. as always i love your writing you have a gift. i should hire you to take over my blog!

Leave a Reply